reasons we don't talk about God more on social media + why we should

Hey! A while ago I asked my dear friend Grace from The Worthy Beloved to write a guest post for me, and here I am now, posting it (a bit late too). Enjoy - and hope it's thought provoking :))

A few years ago I would have told you I was a Christian, but despite my believing in God, I hardly ever talked or wrote about Him.

Later on, my beliefs changed drastically and I realized I wasn't a Christian because I had never obeyed or knew about what the Bible said about salvation as a whole. Since then, I have been striving to please God and always proclaim His name and share what His word says.

Don't get me wrong, I have always loved God, I have always wanted to bring glory to Him. However, looking back, I realize how impossible it was for me then because I was not in Christ.

When Lisa graciously invited me to talk about Christians who don't commonly talk or post about God on her blog in light of my recent blog change, all I could think of was that the reason for my change was a complete change of heart. I wasn't saved before, nor knowledgeable in the Bible at all, so how can I truly write about Christians who are holding back when I wasn't truly a Christian when I was holding back?

It took me a while, but the more I thought about it, the more Christian sisters and brothers I thought of who truly love the Lord, but yet don't make it known outside of worship. And after taking several days to truly think about it, I've come up with several reasons why people hold back from posting Christian content.

But first, why should we, as Christians post about Christ?

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."-Matthew 6:33

If I'm seeking His kingdom first, am I focusing on anything else before Him?

If you could see the statistics for what you spend most of your time writing about, would it be about our Creator, His sacrifice, and how to be saved, or would it be about some materialistic item or hobby that cannot save you or anyone else from hell? (Disclaimer: I am not saying that hobbies aren't allowed, I have several myself, but we mustn't let anything but God come first).

If you're not doing it for the Lord, who are you doing it for?

We are also commanded to preach the word (2 Timothy 4:2).

So, why do people who love the Lord hold back?


1. They aren't saved

"For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge. For, being ignorant of the righteousness of God, and seeking to establish their own, they did not submit to God's righteousness."-Romans 10:2-3

 I fell under this category. Many people love the Lord but they do not have enough knowledge to follow Him. Think of all the people who will call out "Lord, Lord", they know His name, but He does not know Him.
That is the sad and scary truth, and also the reason why I am very loud now about what the Bible says because I once was in this category.



2. They are weaker or new Christians

(A lot of the following points after this one will also go back to being weak, but I digress).

"Concerning him, we have much to say, and it is hard to explain since you have become dull of hearing. For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you have need again for someone to teach you the elementary principles of the oracles of God, and you have come to need milk and not solid food. For everyone who partakes only of milk is not accustomed to the word of righteousness, for he is an infant." -Hebrews 5:11-14

If you're a new Christian, you are an infant, you're still learning about what the Bible says and thus, teaching others might not be something you're ready for yet. That's okay, what's not okay is not working on growing in your knowledge in order to be ready.



3. They are scared of the backlash

Let's face it, not everything wants to obey the Bible, and there are a ton of people who get angry very quickly when Christians talk about their beliefs. The Bible's teachings can be divisive, but then, we are all going to be divided on the judgment day, aren't we? (Matthew 25:31–46).

“Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword."-Matthew 10:34



4. They want to be liked by the world

This goes hand in hand with No. 3, but let me tell you: it is not possible to be a strong Christian and still fit in with the world. Why? Because we are not called to be like the world:

"...be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God."-Romans 12:2

The word "church" in the Bible is the Greek word "ekklesia" which means a gathering of people who are called out.

"And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple."-Luke 14:27



5. Their priorities are not in the right place

I have fallen into this one as well, it's so easy to let your priorities slip.

In Haggai, we see a group of Jews who are letting personal affairs get in the way of finishing the temple, and God sends Haggai to set them straight. In verses 2-4, we see these Jews’ problem: they are selfish. In verse five the Lord tells them to consider their ways.

Do we consider our ways enough? Do we stop enough times throughout the day and make sure that we are still putting God first? (Lamentations 3:40).



6. They’re worried about being perceived as fakes

Sadly, a lot of people use the Lord and His word only when it makes them look good. It’s easy to post an encouraging verse with a sunset as the background and then click off of social media and go back to being like the world (Titus 1:16 should be a warning against being like this). The fear of appearing like you’re being fake deep like this is real, especially when almost all of us can picture a person or an account like this.

It is important to remember that we will all be known by our fruits in the end (Matthew 12:33-35).

Even if people call you fake, the Lord knows your heart (1 Samuel 16:7).

Despite all these fears, think of Colossians 3:17: 


“And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.”

And:

“Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.” 1 Peter 5:6-7


If you've read this far, thank you for your time. I hope this post has helped or made you think in some way. I'd also like to thank Lisa for inviting my rambly self to her blog. <3

To God be the glory,
-Grace Marie




8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for inviting me on your beautiful blog, Lisa! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great reminder! I know I, personally, have lately been examining my motives and making sure I put God and His kingdom first. It can be hard to do but rewarding. <3

    theonesthatreallymatter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always try to include my spiritual life with my online one, it is hard sometimes.
    Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be tough sometimes, but effort and being mindful is so important and it sounds like you are putting both of those things in. <3

      Delete
  4. This is definitely inspiring and such a wonderful, convicting reminder. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and those verses, Grace!! <333

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is something I really, really need to work on - thank you for this post, Grace, and for inviting her, Lisa! <3

    ReplyDelete

YOUR COMMENTS MAKE MY DAY <333 I try my best to reply to them all, so check back soon, and let's start a conversation.

Instagram