the micro-fiction contest [edition no. 6 - ft. zane]

WELCOME TO THE FINAL INSTALLMENT OF THE MICRO-FICTION CONTEST ENTRIES. I must say that it's been such fun sharing all these with you - and I hope that you have enjoyed reading them as much as I enjoyed receiving them.

CAN I SAY A FINAL THANK YOU to all those who entered, ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE READ AND COMMENTED, and Julia Ryan for permission to use her poems <33 

Here's to hoping we can do this again someday.




And just as we began, we close with a story from ZANE (our contest winner). 


*            *            *



i recognize you
my mind shouts
i remember you from somewhere
we once met
smiled
and went on our own way
but now we've made eye contact
for a second time
but have never truly spoke
who are you
what is your life like
how have you grown
where have you traveled
why are you who you are
im curious
i would like to no longer be
strangers
but instead
friends





*            *            *




I knew I had seen her before. She carried herself with a spark of confidence, and it seemed like the grin on her face was permanently attached. Today she was with a group of teenagers, and although she laughed and chatted, it seemed like she didn't quite fit in, and her gaze kept resting on things far away.

I was only staring a little, I swear.

Well...maybe more than a little.

She glanced over at me, a curious look in her eyes. I felt my face go hot, and I looked away, rubbing the back of my neck.

When I finally raised my eyes, she was right there, standing next to me. 


"Um... do I know you from somewhere?" She was still smiling, but it was this cute, shy kind of smile.

"I - I was just thinking that," I stammered. 

She thought. "If you live nearby, maybe I've seen you around? What school do you go to?"

"I've lived here my whole life. But I'm actually homeschooled."

"Really? I'm homeschooled too," she said. "I'm Heather - nice to meet you."

"Um, Russ." Dang it, was I blushing? I started blurting something. "It's kind of weird, you know. All those people you pass every day, you don't know, and probably never will. We could have lived here our whole lives and never talked to each other."

Heather was staring at me. 

I rubbed the back of my neck anxiously. "Sorry, that's probably kind of dumb."


"I don't think it's dumb," she said. "I actually think about that a lot."

"Oh."

"And, Russ?"

"Yeah?"

Heather grinned. "We're talking now."



*            *            *

AND THAT'S THE FINAL INSTALLMENT, GUYS. 
Now, tell me, my dudes -
did you enjoy this little series? would you want to see something similar again someday?

WHICH STORY WAS YOUR NUMBER ONE FAVORITE?

keep writing, keep creating, keep being awesome.
.lisa

5 comments:

  1. EXCELLENT STORY AS ALWAYS, ZANE. <3 and yes, you should definitely do this again someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I LOVE THIS!! Zane is probably good at writing ship-worthy characters and relationships. Her writing is so AMAZING! I NEED this to be a novel or novella. I LOVE THIS SO MUCH!!

    This series has been so fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this story!! <3

    oh, fyi, I tagged you for the #CoverLove tag :). no worries if you've done it already / and no pressure to do it, just letting you know ;).

    <3 <3

    ReplyDelete

YOUR COMMENTS MAKE MY DAY <333 I try my best to reply to them all, so check back soon, and let's start a conversation.

Instagram